Wednesday 3 February 2016

#mykoreadiary || Seodaemun Prison History Museum (서대문형무소역사관)

So during Autumn last year, the husband and I made more effort to sightsee around Seoul after bumming a month away during Summer. And because I'm a history inclined person, I was especially interested in the Seodaemun Prison. 

Seodaemun Prison and museum hall narrates the tough times of Korea's history. A walk through the museum shows a heart wrenching past during the Japanese colonial rule. There are also occasional wax figures in certain cells to better depict the methods used in the torture chambers and also how prisoners communicate by the tapping codes on the wall. Certain cruel torturing methods include being thrown in the box full of spikes and they would shake the box till you relent. There is also a suicide room where you can volunteer to hang yourself and end your life. I always wanted to visit a prison to see how it looks and works in there, but never did I realise that I would not enjoy my trip at all. I never felt so sad looking at faces of those who sacrificed in the harsh historical period ever. There is really a lot more to than what is mentioned and seen here so go pay a visit if schedule allows.

Subway: Dongnimmun Station (Subway Line 3), Exit 5.








Photo wall of the Koreans whom were held captive in Seodaemun Prison.



Place where the Japanese soldier stand to watch over the prisoners.

Cell rooms 

Prisoner's Uniform

Frame for Molding boiled rice


love, bella

0 comments: